Thursday, August 13, 2020

End of A Legend

The one who knew he was a great Shayar who would recite great Shers once in a while (preceded by a warning)…

ये चंद लोग जो बस्ती में सबसे अच्छे हैं
इन्ही का हाथ है मुझको बुरा बनाने में

Ye chand log jo basti mein sabse achhe hain
Inhi ka haath hai mujhko bura banane mein

These few good people in village
Are the reason I turned out bad

– राहत इंदौरी (Rahat Indori)

…is no more.

The one who stood up to the Sun…

पसीने बांटता फिरता है हर तरफ सूरज
कभी जो हाथ लगा तो निचोड़ दूंगा उसे

Paseene baanTta phirta hai har taraf sooraj
Kabhi jo haath laga to nichod dunga use

The Sun keeps dispensing sweat all over the world
If I ever get my hands on it, I’ll surely wring it dry

…will be surely missed.

I have translated a few more Shers of his in a couple of posts in the past: here and here (the two above are copied from the latter). Let me do one new translation (as always, read the page titled "Shayari" on this blog if you haven't read it already) in his honor, where he points out the irony in being a consumer and a product:

खड़े हैं मुझको खरीददार देखने के लिए
मैं घर से निकला था बाज़ार देखने के लिए

Khade hain mujhko khariddaar dekhne ke liye
Main ghar se nikla tha bazaar dekhne ke liye

Standing out there for me are buyers surveying
I had went out of my house for market surveying

Let us end this post with one of the last of his recitals from earlier this year.

Recital at Jashn-e-Rekhta

Rahat Indori @Rekhta.org

No comments:

Post a Comment