Saturday, July 6, 2013

To Be Expected

After a long wait, here are some Sketchbook pages from volume 9. (The reason for the delay itself deserves a post, which will most probably appear next in a couple of weeks.) These are some of the ones that make enough sense even if one can’t read Japanese. (Ignore the low-resolution of the images… I think it doesn’t keep one from enjoying them.)

Huge Pet

Sora visits Takane’s house with Kei (hopefully, I’m not confusing the two new characters!) and is scared of Takane’s huge pet cat?

Game

Aso is introducing a new game in the Art Club. I remember playing such a game during my very early school days.

Hairstyle

Sora invents a new hairstyle for Ooba… Brilliant 4-koma!

Pointing

Sora learns the hard way that (most?) animals don’t look in the direction of the pointing finger.

Bad Luck

Moral: ‘Bad luck’ (read ‘comic situations’) can manifest anytime, anywhere to any person in any shape or form.

Preparation

Nagisa is in a dilemma and as I say: “Always write down things!”, which Ryou seems to be following closely in her research!

Laughter

Talking about research, is the Art Club discussing string theory in this volume? That would be quite a clash of my…

… Interests!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing the preview of volume 9. Seeing Takane's cat makes me wonder what Kuma would think of it. Would they have a contest to see who was the top cat? Would Takane's cat even recognize Kuma as a fellow feline? I will defer to you on that.

    I am not sure if that new hair style will work out for Ooba, but I guess it might help her become a little more memorable at least. At least this time her shampoo seems to be working out.

    As for that last Ryou panel, is she pelting a pigeon with edamame and recording the results? Do you have any theories as to what exactly she is trying to do and why?

    On a related note, would you be interested at all in a Sketchbook tumblr? A few Sketchbook fans decided to put together one (http://sketchbookfullcolors.tumblr.com/) and I figured that it might the sort of thing you would appreciate. Feel free to send me a message if you have any ideas of what type of content you would like to see added to it or if you want to become a contributor to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this cat, a fleeting thought about Kuma did cross my mind. But given that we don't know its personality yet, it's hard to say anything about what it will think about Kuma! Though, their interaction would definitely be interesting.

    Hehe... I'd like her to keep that hairstyle just for the fact that people will stop forgetting her once & for all!

    I thought she was pelting the pigeon/dove with peas but I'm as clueless as you are about 'what' she's doing. Maybe she's trying to figure out its attention span. As to the question of 'why', I'm just happy with the thought that she's Ryou after all. Also, research should begin without thinking too much about 'why'! :)

    It was sheer joy going through the tumblr. Thanks for letting me know. I've subscribed to the RSS feed too. I don't know much about how tumblr works and I don't have much to contribute either. So will message you if I find something interesting or will use that 'submit' form on the site. For now, I guess am highly interested in colour posters, artwork, etc.

    ReplyDelete