Saturday, August 15, 2015

याद (Memory)

Here’s a translation after ages of any relevant, worthwhile activity on this blog. Over that disappointment, I have gone and picked up a very difficult Ghazal of Dr. Waseem Barelvi to translate. Sad smile Anyway, read the original first before attempting to read my translations. You’ve been warned (in addition to the disclaimer posted above!):

हजार काँटों से दामन छुड़ा लिया मैंने
अना को मार के सब कुछ बचा लिया मैंने

Hazaar kaanton se daaman chhuda liya maine
Ana ko maar ke sab kuch bacha liya maine

Have freed my robe from thousands of thorns
By killing my ego I have saved everything else

जहाँ भी जाऊँ, नज़र में हूँ एक जमाने की
ये कैसा खुद को तमाशा बना लिया मैंने

Jahaan bhi jaaun, nazar mein hoon ek zamaane ki
Ye kaisa khud ko tamaasha bana liya maine

Wherever I go, I am caught in a world’s stare
How have I made myself such a puppet show

अंधेरे बीच में आ जाते इससे पहले ही
दिया तुम्हारे दिये से जला लिया मैंने

Andhere beech mein aa jaate isse pahle hi
Diya tumhaare diye se jala liya maine

Before darkness could creep in between us
I have lit my lamp with your lamp's flame

अज़ीम थे ये दुआओं को उठने वाले हाथ
न जाने कब ईन्हे कांसा बना लिया मैंने

Azeem the ye duaaon ko uthne waale haath
Na jaane kab inhe kaansa bana liya maine

Great were these hands engaged in prayers
When did I turn them into a begging bowl

जले तो हाथ मगर हाँ, हवा के हमले से
किसी चिराग की लौ को बचा लिया मैंने

Jale to haath magar haan, hawa ke hamle se
Kisi chiraag ki lau ko bacha liya maine

Hands did burn but yes, against wind's fury
I have saved the burning flame of that lamp

तराशना ही था हीरा तो मेरा तेरा क्या
किसी भी राह का पत्थर उठा लिया मैंने

Taraashna hi tha heera to mera tera kya
Kisi bhi raah ka patthar utha liya maine

Ignore our differences for just polishing a diamond
I have picked up a stone off any old accessible road

-वसीम बरेलवी (Waseem Barelvi)

No comments:

Post a Comment